The Sayreville Tax Collector's Office is located on the second floor of the Borough Hall building at 167 Main Street. The office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm. A drop box is located at the back of the building and is available 24/7 for all correspondence. Property tax information can be found using the link on this page “Tax Bill Payment”.
Property tax bills are mailed twice – once in June and include the estimated 3rd Quarter August amount. This is the amount to pay, November will reflect the difference. The final bill will go out in September and include 3 payment stubs. Taxes are due quarterly on February 1, May 1, August 1 and November 1. A ten (10) day grace period is provided by Borough resolution, after which interest accrues from the first day payment is due. If the tenth (10th) day falls on a weekend or legal holiday the following business day will be the last day of the grace period.
The Borough offers the following methods for payment of taxes:
- Mail a check using your payment stub to the Bough of Sayreville Tax Department 167 Main Street, Sayreville, NJ 08872. We do not accept post mark so please make sure you mail with more than enough time to get to our office.
- Online through your personal online banking. Allow 7 to 10 business days for bank processing. No fees are assessed by the Borough.
- Online through our website by electronic check or debit or credit card. No fees are assessed by the Borough; however, please note that these online payments do involve fees and charges levied by a third-party payment processor. $1.95 e-check 2.95% card
- A 24 hour drop box is located at the back of the building. After 4:00 pm all payments are credited on the next business day. Cash payments are not accepted.
- In the office via check, cash or card with fee.
If your property taxes are paid through your mortgage company, the bill will have a notation stating “Advice Copy Only”. If your mortgage company is no longer responsible for remitting property tax payments, you may use these payment stubs. Please call and tell us you no longer have a mortgage so we can update our records.
Failure to receive a tax bill does not exempt you from paying your taxes or the interest due on delinquent taxes.
There are often times when the Tax Collector must return checks that are written out incorrectly. Please double check the following when writing your check:
- Check is payable to Borough of Sayreville
- Check is signed
- The numeric amount matches the written amount
- Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for any information you require returned
- Please do not staple or tape your tax stub to your check
Tax installments not paid by the due date are subject to 8% interest on the first $1,500.00 of the delinquency and 18% on any amount in excess of $1,500.00. Also, any delinquency exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00) on December 31st pays a six percent (6%) year end penalty. Delinquent taxes and all other delinquent municipal charges that remain open for more than one year are subject to an annual tax sale which can be held any time after April 1st.
Customer service is available via phone @ 732-390-7040 or email firstname.lastname@example.org