Zoning Department

49 Dolan Street
Sayreville, NJ 08872

Zoning Officer - Andrew Mashanski
732-390-7004 andym@sayreville.com

Monday-Friday 8 am to 3:30 pm

The Zoning Officer is the first Borough of Sayreville official with whom the typical property owner meets in the process of making an application to develop vacant land or upgrade existing properties for minor activities including adding a shed or fence to more complicated projects such as the construction of a new shopping mall.

The intent and purpose of zoning is to promote public health, safety, morals and general welfare through appropriate land use. Zoning Officers work in collaboration with the Borough Engineer, Construction Code Official and a variety of other departments to ensure orderly and compliant development and activities within the Borough of Sayreville. The Zoning Officer is the municipal employee charged with enforcing the Zoning Code, maintaining the Zoning Ordinance and drafting revisions or changes to the Zoning Code in collaboration with the governing body. The Zoning Officer also serves as link to the Zoning Board of Adjustment, reviews applications for “C” or bulk variances, issues development review reports and attends all Board Hearings.

The Borough of Sayreville General Zoning Ordinance Chapter 26 is administered and enforced by the Zoning Officer. The Zoning Officer reviews and approves applications for zoning permits. The Zoning Officer also investigates complaints of zoning violations and takes appropriate enforcement action. In order to prevent violations and assist in compliance, the Zoning Officer also meets with property owners, business managers and land use professionals to provide information.

Zoning permits are required for many projects including but not limited to: New home, garage, additions, pools, sheds, fences, decks,  change of use in commercial building, commercial construction .

For information regarding opening a business in Sayreville and obtaining a Mercantile License please go to Opening a Business In Sayreville.

If you have a concern or complaint, you must fill out a form on our CITIZEN PORTAL so that our office can investigate.