Skip to main content
Home  >  FAQ's


Department: Police

Please view our listing of frequently asked questions to see if an answer to your question is already displayed below.     
  • Police Department
    • Where do I go to appear for a Sayreville court appearance?
      The Sayreville Municipal Court is located inside the Sayreville Police Department located at 1000 Main Street, Sayreville, NJ  08872.
    • How old must I be to purchase a handgun?
      Under NJSA 2C:58-3c(4) you must be at least 21 years old to purchase a handgun.
    • How old must I be to purchase a rifle or shotgun?

       Under NJSA 2C:58-3c(4) you must be at least 18 years old to purchase a rifle or shotgun.

    • I found what I believe to be an explosive device. Can I bring it to the police for disposal?
       NO.  For reasons of safety please call 732-727-4444 and explain the situation to the dispatcher.  Since explosive devices can be unstable it is required that an officer respond to your location to assess the device and determine the safest method of removal.
    • I have a rifle/shotgun/handgun/ammunition that I would like to dispose of. Can I turn this item in for safe disposition?

      Yes, you may surrender any of these items and they will be disposed of according to law.  You will be issued a receipt at the time of surrender.

    • I inherited a firearm as part of an estate. Can I legally retain ownership of this weapon?
      Yes, as long as you possess or acquire a NJ Firearms Purchaser ID Card or Handgun Purchase Permit.  If you do not meet these requirements you are legally entitled to retain ownership of the firearm for 180 days to effect its legal sale or transfer to a person who meets requirements for ownership.
    • Are there any other restrictions regarding the purchase of firearms?

      Yes, in addition to the age requirements there are several other restrictions according to NJSA 2C:58-3a, No handgun purchase permit or firearms purchaser identification card shall be issued:

       (1)    To any person who has been convicted of a crime or a disorderly persons offense involving an act of domestic violence.

      (2)    To any drug dependent person, to any person who is confined for a mental disorder to a hospital, mental institution or sanitarium, or to any person who is presently an habitual drunkard.

      (3)    To any person who suffers from a physical defect or disease which would make it unsafe for him to handle firearms.

      (4)    To any person who has ever been confined for a mental disorder, or to any alcoholic, unless any of the foregoing persons produces a certificate of a medical doctor or psychiatrist licensed in New Jersey or other satisfactory proof that he is no longer suffering from that particular disability in such a manner that would interfere with or handicap him in the handling of firearms.

      (5)    To any person who knowingly falsifies any information on the application form for a handgun purchase permit or firearms purchaser identification card.

      (6)    To any person where the issuance would not be in the interest of the public health, safety or welfare.

      (7)    To any person who is subject to a restraining order issued pursuant to the “Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991” prohibiting the person from possessing any firearm.

      (8)    To any person who as a Juvenile was adjudicated delinquent for an offense which if committed by an adult would constitute a crime and the offense involved the unlawful use of a weapon, explosive or destructive device.

      (9)    To any person whose firearm is seized pursuant to the “Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991”.
    • Are there fees involved in the application process?
      Yes, the fees are set by NJ Law.  The application fee for a firearms purchaser ID card is $5.  The application fee for a permit to purchase a handgun is $2.
    • Do I have to be fingerprinted as part of the application process?
      Yes, submission of fingerprints is a required part of the application process.
    • How do I make a complaint about an officer?

      The Sayreville Police Department holds its employees to the highest standard of integrity.  Under guidelines issued by the NJ Attorney General we are obligated to accept and investigate complaints regarding the conduct of any member of this department.

      Complaint forms are available 24 hours a day at the main desk of the police department.

    • Who do I contact to arrange a tour of headquarters for my youth/scout group?
      To arrange for a tour of the Sayreville Police Department you should contact Det./Sgt. Sean O'Donnell at 732-525-5422.  If you are coming with a scout group, please indicate the requirements that you are hoping to fulfill so we can accommodate your needs.
    • Are there officers available to speak at my organization's meetings?

      There are a variety of programs that the Saryeville Police Department offers to schools, youth groups and community organizations.  To request a speaker for a specific topic please contact Det./Sgt. Sean O'Donnell at 732-525-5422 to see if there is an available officer.