Linda Miick, Registrar
49 Dolan Street
Sayreville, NJ 08872
fax - 732-390-7458
This office is responsible for registering all births, civil unions, domestic partnerships, marriages and deaths that occur in the Borough of Sayreville. Office hours are Monday - Friday 9:00am to 2:00pm.
The following information pertains to Vital Statistics:
• Certified copies of births, civil unions, domestic partnerships, marriages, and deaths
• Applications for civil unions and marriages
• Filing of domestic partnerships
• Modifications of all vital records
CERTIFIED COPIES OF VITAL RECORDS
There are two ways to obtain certified copies. The fee for all certified copies is $10.00 each. Please click here for the request for certified copy application:
• In person, our address is 49 Dolan Street (we are behind the Borough Hall, next to the Recreation Department). Acceptable methods of payment are cash, money order, check, or credit card (Visa or Mastercard). Please note that although we accept cash you must go to the main building to pay and, therefore, strongly suggest you use another form of accepted payment.
• By mail: The mailing address is: Health Department, 49 Dolan Street, Sayreville, NJ 08872. Acceptable methods of payment are money order or check made out to the Borough of Sayreville. Photo copies of ID must be submitted along with request. Please see below for eligibility of a vital record and the acceptable forms of id.
Eligible individuals who can obtain certified copies of vital records.
The individual of legal age, the parents of, a brother or sister of legal age (with proof of their relationship i.e. certified copy of birth certificate showing parents names), the spouse/partner (with proof of civil union, domestic partnership or marriage certificate), the child of legal age (with proof of their relationship i.e. certified copy of birth certificate showing parents names), the grandchild of legal age (with proof of their relationship i.e. certified copies of birth certificate showing parents and grandparents names), the legal guardian/representative with proper court documents within a 2 year period).
• A valid photo drivers license showing your CURRENT address and signature;
• If a valid photo drivers license is not available, two of the following are necessary:
• A non-photo drivers license
• County ID
• Vehicle registration and/or insurance card
• Copy of utility bill, bank statement
• Proof of signature is required
When filling out request form, the information provided must be exact and complete as it appears on the original record. Please provide a phone number where you can be reached should additional information be needed.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A MARRIAGE OR CIVIL UNION LICENSE
You only apply in Sayreville if:
- At least one of the applicants is a resident of Sayreville
- Applicants are not residents of New Jersey but are getting married in Sayreville
How to apply:
- First you need to make your arrangements for your ceremony – we do not perform the ceremonies here or set up appointments – this needs to be done prior to coming in to fill out your license application
- The application requires that you state the date of marriage, the town where the ceremony will take place, and the name and address of the officiant – have this information prior to coming in to apply.
- Marriages and civil unions can be performed in any municipal courthouse in New Jersey or by any mayor, county clerk or minister of any religion.
- After you have your date of marriage set, please visit http://www.state.nj.us/health/forms/reg-77.dot to download, type first page only, and PRINT your application. Once this is done, come at least two weeks before the intended date of marriage/civil union with the following information about your ceremony:
- Full name and address of Officiant
- Date of Marriage
- Municipality where ceremony is taking place
****Office hours for taking applications: 9:00 am to 2:00 pm Monday-Friday.
****No appointment necessary.****
- Applicants need to bring the following information:
- Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport, or state/federal I.D.
- Birth certificates(not mandatory)
- If this is not your first-time marriage or civil union, divorce papers, civil union dissolution papers, or death certificate
- Social security numbers
- 1 witness 18 years or older
- The cost is $28.00 – please have a check made payable to the Borough of Sayreville, a credit card (Visa or Mastercard), or exact change
- Proof of residency – acceptable documents are a driver’s license, vehicle registration or insurance card, bank statement or a utility bill (within 90 days), tax return or W-2 for current or previous year, or mortgage/lease
- Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
Important: There is a 72 hour waiting period from the time you apply to the time you can pick up your license. You can fill out the application for your license up to 6 months before your ceremony and pick it up within 30 days of your ceremony. Do not wait until the last minute.
After the ceremony is performed it will be recorded in the town the ceremony took place in and certified copies can only be issued from that office.
Any questions call the Health Department at 732-390-7012.
For the license application, go to www.sayreville.com, under departments click Health Department
FILE A DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIP
To complete a Domestic Partnership:
• Each partner must sign in front of a notary an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership (Affidavits are available from any local registrars office)
• Partners must be 62 years of age
• Share a common residence or member of NJ State Retirement System
• Jointly responsible for each others common welfare
• Not in any other commitment recognized by NJ Law
• Notarized Affidavit must be taken to any local registrars office to be filed and purchase a certificate of Domestic Partnership
• Fee of $28.00